This a contract position under the direct supervision and reports to the Director of Engineering based in Champlin, Minnesota. The role of a Technical Writer is to create, update, and maintain industrial machine manuals for the customers. More specifically, to work with Engineering, Service, Applications, Manufacturing, and Product Management to ensure machine manuals are up-to-date, consistent between products, and maintained over the life of the machine. Typical manuals include, but are not limited to, Operator’s Manual (Software), Maintenance Manual, Installation Instructions and Service upgrades. Additional activity will include assisting the service team with training materials, service bulletins, and online content. The position requires working with multidiscipline groups within Prima Power Laserdyne and may require participating in conference calls with international and external personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create and update manuals for laser processing machinery in English for a global audience.
- Work well both independently and in team settings.
- Gather necessary input from Engineering, Operations, Service, Applications, and Product Management to create a complete Manual.
- Keep machine manuals up to date with machine and released software changes.
- Create manuals for field upgrades as needed.
- Organizing and managing manual reviews with representatives from Engineering, Service, Operations, Applications, and Product Management.
- Assist in creating material for internal and external training.
- Interface as needed with Italian Technical Writing team.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this role. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties. Additional responsibilities may be assigned, as required, by management.
To be effective in this role, an individual must be able to perform each key responsibility at a high level. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, or traits vital for success:
- 3+ years of experience in writing technical manuals for industrial machinery
- Curiosity and strong aptitude for machine technology, and the ability to learn quickly
- Work independently
- Provide accurate time estimates and complete tasks in the allotted time
- Good working knowledge and use of digital devices and media
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite
- Proficient in working with FrameMaker and AuthorIt
- Excellent grammar, communication, and people skills
- Ability to travel to Prima Power Laserdyne in Champlin, MN as needed
- High School Diploma minimum, preferred degree in English, Literature, Journalism or similar
- Must be a US citizen
- Pass a background check
This is a contract position reporting to Engineering Manager. Based on the business need and performance, there is the potential to be hired as a full employee of Prima Power Laserdyne.