Field Service Technician
Prima Power Laserdyne, LLC, a world leading manufacturer of industrial laser systems, has an opening for a Field Service Technician. The primary function of a Field Service Technician is to troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair Prima Power Laserdyne machines located at customers throughout both North America and globally. Position will be under direction of the Global Support and Spare Parts Department located in Brooklyn Park, MN. Candidate should be a self-starter, able to work independently, and strive to achieve complete customer satisfaction. The main goal of a Field Service Technician is to drive service success that ensures customer satisfaction, maximizes customer retention, and allows the Service group to meet or exceed the financial targets.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair machines efficiently as possible. Tasks can involve both mechanical and electrical work, and can range from simple mechanical adjustments to complex system repairs.
- Perform periodic machine maintenance and calibrations.
- Install mechanical and/or electrical upgrades on machines ranging in build timeframes from early 1980’s to today.
- Train customers in system operation, maintenance, and basic repair of their Prima Power Laserdyne machines. Develop training material as needed.
- Gather data during on-site evaluations and testing, and then summarize and present to engineering and technical support teams.
- Generate detailed report upon completion of service visit for both internal and customer review and record-keeping. Submit report in allotted time.
- Keep detailed records of hours worked and expenses incurred. Submit paperwork in allotted time.
- Provide market intelligence to Sales and Service teams.
- Recommend corrective/preventative services and promote additional services and upgrades.
- When not traveling, provide technical support to customers via email and phone.
- Build positive relationships with internal team and customers.
- At all times, work in safe manner according to both company and customer safety policies.
- Additional duties may be assigned as the business requires.
Note: This position can be based from the home office. It will require extensive travel. Proximity near a major airport may be required and/or home office be located in a specific geographic area to better serve a specific customer base. Due to business needs, approval would be required, post-hire, if an employee wishes to relocate.
- Technical degree in one of the following fields: Robotics, Electronics, and/or Laser Applications. In lieu of degree, 5+ years of experience in one of the noted fields.
- Ability to travel up to 80% of time within USA and Canada.
- Ability to travel internationally when needed – preferred.
- US Citizen with US passport able to pass background security checks (dual citizenship not allowed).
- Excellent customer service skills with a strong desire to achieve complete customer satisfaction.
- Ability to work both alone/independently and in a team.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- General mechanical aptitude, able to use hand tools, and lift up to 70lbs.
- Ability to operate electrical, optical, and mechanical test equipment.
- Knowledge and experience with industrial computers, PLCs, and CNC equipment.
- Ability to work flexible schedules (may include weekend work) and adapt to changing schedules.
- General proficiency of PC skills including Outlook, Excel, Word, and Smartphones.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Since 1981, Prima Power Laserdyne has been a resource for manufacturers requiring precision laser processing solutions around the world. Many companies recognize Prima Power Laserdyne’s product leadership in precision laser processing as well as the ability to assist in the development of novel laser processing solutions for the most difficult applications. Visit for further information.